Inspiration is everywhere! Explore the following links and see what is going on in the world of crochet design.
- A list of crochet designers whose work has been published: http://www.crochetkim.com/designers.html
- Crochet designers self-publishing on lulu: http://people.lulu.com/users/index.php?home=516952
- A list of links to interviews and reviews on designers, books, and patterns: http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/344.asp
- Note: check out this link, and be inspired! http://www.domakaya.com/09/
- Ramblings of a crochet designer: "Becoming a Designer" http://gocrochet.blogspot.com/2007/11/becoming-designer.html
- The Crochet Design process: http://www.bellaonline.org/articles/art1474.asp
- Design Primer: http://crochetasylum.com/cart/page.html?chapter=0&id=10
- Facebook site for crochet designers: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2439947150
- Belts and Bags by crochet designers, ebook: http://www.sftdonline.com/ (commercial site)
- Designing Vashti (blog): http://designingvashti.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-crochet-designers-celebrate.html
- Interview with designer Mary Miller: http://www.blisstree.com/hankeringforyarn/profile-crochet-designer-marty-miller/
- Wips 'n Chains: Kim Guzman, designer: http://kimguzman.wordpress.com/
- Loop: http://www.loopknitting.com/yarn/index.html (loop is a a boutique selling the most beautiful things made by designers that use knit, crochet or felt from the UK, Holland, Japan, France, Denmark and New York).
- Pepperberry: http://pepperberry.typepad.com/my_weblog/
- Crochet Garden: Lisa Naskent http://www.crochetgarden.com/crochetblog/
- The design process explained: http://sylverdesigns.com/designing.html
- Awe!Some Crochet: http://www.indiepublic.com/profile/AwesomeCrochetbyGinaRenay "avant-garde knitwear crochet designer and freestyling visionary designer"
- "Crocheting for Fun and Profit" (book for sale) http://www.beadwrangler.com/book-crochet13.htm
- Crochet Insider: http://crochetinsider.com/
As usual, searching for these great links, led to some surprising finds. I don't have an iPhone, so cannot comment on this app, but if I did have an iPhone, I'd get this app "Easy Stitch by Technical Made Easy." (knitting, crochet, embroidery) http://www.technicalmadeeasy.com/easystitch.html
And finally, a search on Amazon this morning brought up this surprising book!
- Crocheting Adventures with Hyperbolic Planes by Daina Taimina
"This richly illustrated book discusses non-Euclidean geometry and the hyperbolic plane in an accessible way. The author provides instructions for how to crochet models of the hyperbolic plane, pseudosphere, and catenoid/helicoids. With this knowledge, the reader has a hands-on tool for learning the properties of the hyperbolic plane and negative curvature. The author also explores geometry and its historical connections with art, architecture, navigation, and motion, as well as the history of crochet, which provides a context for the significance of a physical model of a mathematical concept that has plagued mathematicians for centuries."
After writing the post above, I ordered the following books on Amazon. Become a "follower" of Appalachian Morning and you'll find out when I post reviews/comments/work I've done from these books, including a long musing on my love of felt:
- Uniquely Felt
- How We Felt: Designs and Techniques by Contemporary Felt Artists
- Wool Pets: Making 20 Figures with Wool Roving and a Barbed Needle
- Freeform Crochet and Beyond: Bags, Cushions, Hats, Scarves and More
- Crochet Bouquet: Easy Designs for Dozens of Flowers
- Blueprint Crochet: Modern Designs for the Visual Crocheter